Although sushi is the most famous Japanese food, Karaage is probably one of the most popular home-made Japanese food.
Karaage is Japanese style fried chicken.
Cooking Karaage, Japanese fried chicken 🍗 pic.twitter.com/EZ0xdWbrVF
— Daiki Yoshikawa🇯🇵🇫🇮 (@Okonomiyakiguy) 2019年4月19日
I’d like to introduce the easy recipe with basic ingredients so that you can try making it without preparing many kinds of spices or special seasonings.
Preparation time : 30 mins Cooking time : 10-20 mins
Ingredients (For 2-4 persons)
- – Chicken (300-400 grams)
- – Potato starch (potato powder)
- – Salt (1 teaspoon)
- – Pepper or black pepper (1 teaspoon)
- – Ginger (1 teaspoon)
- – Garlic (1 teaspoon) *if you want
- – Lemon juice (1 tablespoon)
- – Soy souce (1 tablespoon)
1. Squeeze juice from lemon and grate ginger and garlic.
2. Cut chicken meat into bite-sized pieces.
3. Mix the chicken with all the seasonings in a bowl or ziplock and leave it for 15-30 mins or longer in a fridge.
4. Sprinkle and coat the seasoned chicken with the potato starch in another bowl.
5. Heat oil and fry the chicken for 3-4 mins (I usually use small amount of olive oil instead of normal cooking oil for health)
＊In case you don’t want to fry with oil, you can also cook in the oven (250℃). Add a small portion of oil in the bowl and put in an oven for 10 minutes for one side and grill another 10 mins for the other side. You can adjust the time so that the chicken becomes crispy enough.
- Try to adjust the cooking time and the oil temperature (or temperature in the oven) so that the texture of chicken becomes crispy!
- You can also add sesame oil if you have when you mix chicken with the seasonings.
- Karaage is especially good with rice!
- Enjoy and appreciate food 🙂